- Free of copper and biocide
- Self-abrasive fouling release
- Based on hydrogel
Hempel Silic One is the revolution in antifouling coating. This biocide-free product has similar properties to antifouling. However, Silic One is a silicone hydrogel-based product to which organisms will not adhere. In addition, the antifouling coating is easy to remove and can be reapplied without any problems. Another advantage of fouling release is the saving in costs from the second year onwards. Hempel Silic One reduces friction and increases speed and fuel savings.
The Silic One fouling release system is suitable for use below the waterline on boats made of polyester, steel and aluminium.
Benefits of Hempel Silic One
- The revolution in antifouling.
- Free of copper and biocides.
- Cost reduction after the 2nd year.
- Based on silicone hydrogel.
- Suitable for fresh, salt and brackish water.
What is a fouling release system?
A fouling release system (such as Hempel Silic One) is an underwater coating used to prevent fouling. Unlike an antifouling, the fouling release system does not use biocides and copper. This product is in fact based on a silicone hydrogel. The surface of the coating has water-like properties. As a result, fouling organisms can no longer settle so easily on the hull and fall off more quickly when the boat is in motion. Click here for more information on the differences between antifouling and Silic One Fouling Release.
Instructions for use of Silic One
It is important to know that in order to apply Hempel Silic One you need 2 other products (Primer and Tiecoat) to properly prepare the surface. The "instruction manual" for Hempel Silic One clearly describes the necessary preparation steps. The documentation distinguishes between new boats (untreated) and boats that have previously been coated.
Silic One can only be applied to Hempel Silic One Tiecoat. The minimum processing temperature is 10°C. Avoid working in direct sunlight. For the application of Silic One, please follow the next steps:
- Always make sure that the surface is lightly sanded, clean, grease-free and dry before applying the product.
- Treat the surface properly. Check out the instruction manual or the technical documentation.
- Stir the content well to obtain a nice colour. This is necessary because the product contains heavy particles.
- For the first application of Hempel Silic One two layers are required, for a second application one layer is sufficient. Make sure that you apply the paint within 48 hours after applying Tiecoat and at least after 8 hours (at 20°C).
- Pour the product into the paint tray. Dip the roller/brush completely into the paint and apply with light, smooth strokes for complete coverage. Outliers can be removed before the paint dries.
- After approx. 3 hours (at 20°C) the fouling release is hand dry and after 16 hours it is paintable.
- After approximately 24 hours up to a maximum of 1 month you can launch the boat.
Contents: 0.75 ltr
Colour: black, red, blue
Processing time: 1 hour after opening the can
Consumption: approx. 10 m2/l
Hand-dry: 3 hours (at 20°C)
Can be painted over: 16 hours (at 20°C)
Application: brush or felt roller
Thinner: do not dilute
We have a number of recommendations for working safely with polymers. At Polyestershoppen you will not only find the polymers themselves, but you can also purchase all the protective equipment you need from us. If you have any doubts or questions, please contact our customer service. We can give you advice on how to work safely with polymers.