- For drying flowers
- Packaging: 1 & 2.5 kg
Silica gel is the ideal product for drying flowers. So would you like to cast flowers in epoxy? Then dry your flowers first using Silica Gel. The silica gel will quickly draw the moisture out of the flowers, allowing them to retain their shape and colour without withering or decaying. Whereas flowers sometimes lose their shape, structure and colour when dried, this is not the case with Silica Gel. Examples of flowers that can be dried very well with silica gel are wild pansies, daisies, daffodils, zinnia, geraniums and many more! Silica comes in a 2.5 kg bucket so you can dry several flowers right away.
How to dry flowers with Silica Gel
- Spread a 2-3 cm layer of silica gel in a container with an airtight lid (you can also use the bucket).
- Place the flowers, petals or leaves on the silica gel in such a way that they do not cover each other.
- Scoop the silica gel around the flowers. Do this very carefully so you don't damage or bruise the flowers. Cover the flowers until they are completely covered (with a deep bucket and enough Silica Gel, you can make several layers of flowers).
- Close the bucket or container and let the flowers dry. The drying time of the flowers varies and you can check the flowers after two or three days.
- When the flowers feel paper-like, they can be taken out. You can remove the flowers from the container by scooping them out with a spoon, for example.
Do you want to reuse silica gel? You can easily reuse Silica Gel by removing the water from the product using an oven. Place the Silica Gel on baking sheet or aluminium foil in a preheated oven (80°C). Place the used Silica spread out on a baking tray in the oven for about 30 minutes.
Casting dried flowers in epoxy
In the video below, Leen shows you how to cast your own dried flowers in epoxy. You can also find the tutorial with all the steps in our information article: DIY | Casting flowers in epoxy.
- 1 kg or 2 kg
- Grain size:
- 0.2 - 0.8 mm (silica gel sand)
- 0.5 - 1.5 mm (silica gel grit)
We have a number of recommendations for working safely with polymers. At Polyestershoppen you will not only find the polymers themselves, but you can also purchase all the protective equipment you need from us. If you have any doubts or questions, please contact our customer service. We can give you advice on how to work safely with polymers.