Wood stabilisation with Stabicure: the solution for durable and strong wood
Stabicure is a revolutionary method in the field of wood stabilisation. It is a process in which wood is impregnated with a special resin, also known as "cactus juice". This ensures that the wood is not only more resistant to moisture, but also becomes a lot stronger and more durable. In this article we explain everything about stabilising wood with Stabicure and the many benefits this technique has to offer.
What is wood stabilisation and why is it important?
Wood stabilisation is the process of strengthening wood so that it will no longer respond to changes in humidity. This includes moisture, temperature fluctuations and mold. stabilising the wood makes it less susceptible to shrinking, expanding and warping. This ensures that the wood remains beautiful and in good condition for longer, so you can enjoy it for longer. Stabicure is a specific method for wood stabilisation that uses a water-thin resin also called cactus juice. This resin penetrates deep into the wood and strengthens the wood cells, making the wood not only more resistant to external factors but also a lot stronger. Stabicure Resin is harmless during processing and during use of the stabilised product.
You can use Stabicure to make:
- Knife handles
- Fine wood turning
- Fine wood carving
- Billiard cues
- Guitar necks
Did you know that you can use Stabicure not only to stabilise wood but also to impregnate bone, antler, leather, mushrooms, sandstone and marl? Please contact our specialists
for more information.
The benefits of Stabicure wood stabiliser
Stabicure offers a number of significant benefits over other wood stabilisation methods. We list the main benefits for you:
- Durability: stabilising the wood with Stabicure makes it more resistant to moisture and fungi. This makes the wood last longer and you are less likely to need to replace it, which is better for the environment.
- Strength: the special resin used with Stabicure strengthens the wood cells, making the wood considerably stronger. This makes it highly suitable for applications requiring high strength and durability, such as furniture, flooring and structures.
- Aesthetics: Stabicure allows the wood to retain its natural appearance, while making it more resistant to discoloration and wear. As a result, the wood remains beautiful for longer and retains its characteristic appearance.
- Versatility: Stabicure can be applied to virtually all types of wood, so you are always assured of a suitable solution for your specific wood project.
How does stabilising wood with Stabicure work?
Stabilising wood with Stabicure is a relatively simple process carried out in a number of steps. We are happy to explain these steps to you:
- Preparation: first make sure the wood is completely dry. Place the wood in an oven at 100°C - 110°C until the material loses all its weight. This can take up to 24 hours but is very important because the resin adheres better to dry wood.
- Impregnation: the wood is then impregnated with the Stabicure resin. This is done under vacuum, allowing the resin to penetrate deep into the wood and fill all pores and cavities. Immerse the object in a mixing cup filled with Stabicure. Make sure the object disappears completely under the liquid. If necessary, use metal wire to keep the object there. Place the mixing cup in a vacuum chamber and turn on the vacuum pump. Now bubbles will come out of the object. Once all the bubbles are gone, you can lift the vacuum.
- Curing: after impregnation, heat the wood so that the resin cures. This ensures that the resin is firmly anchored in the wood and gives the wood its new, reinforced properties. It is important that the Stabicure cures completely in one go without cooling down in between. This can stop the process after which no further hardening takes place. Make sure the temperature remains between 80 and 100 degrees during curing.
- Finishing: finally, the wood is sanded and finished so that it is ready for use in your project.
Stabicure: the future of wood stabilisation
Stabicure is an innovative and durable solution for stabilising wood. Due to the many benefits this technique has to offer, it is becoming increasingly popular with professionals and DIYers. Whether you are an experienced woodworker or just starting to explore the world of woodworking, Stabicure offers an excellent way to get the best out of your wood projects.
Want to know more about Stabicure?
Are you inspired by this article and do you want to get started with Stabicure? Then contact our specialists to discover the possibilities for your project. Have fun and good luck creating beautiful, durable and strong wooden creations!